[I have been offered a position so am now back in work, but I’ll leave this up for a the record]
Well after 9 months I decided to address the issues with my life/work balance, and leave New Scientist. It was a really interesting and challenging job, and I wish them all the best – it’s such a great magazine, and the people there make it a really stimulating place to work. BUT: I realised that the travel and stress which comes with working in London (from Peterborough) really was taking it’s toll on me, and my wife.
So a new chapter in my life looms…
I’m working on a couple of things – including a possible web app for CAMRA (they don’t actually know this yet, I’m working on an idea that someone linked to them gave me a loose specification for).
I’ve taken some time to recharge the batteries, and now am ready for a new challenge. Since leaving New Scientist I have not only been taking a career break, but have also undertaken many different hobby projects which interest me, such as;
- Volunteer working at a local pub beer festival serving the public
- Twice volunteer working at a local craft brewery (Bexar County) helping to produce a new beer on commercial sale
- Ramping up the writing for, and promotion of my new beer blog (http://beerwriter.co.uk/)
- Running a social media campaign to save a local historically important pub (Hand & Heart, Peterborough), over 600 Facebook shares and local MP joining in.
- Creating eCommerce websites for a London band (wonkunit.com ), and a local gig promoter (www.thescaryclownpresents.co.uk )
- Some freelance contract work with a local company producing presentations for a large awards night
- Working freelance in the press room at a large televised sporting event (PDC Darts World Matchplay)
I’ve got a lot of ‘general’ web skills now after 20 years online, and my WordPress hosting/use/development knowledge is very high now. Also my twitter and Facebook pages show I know how to market myself, and generate social media excitement – I’ve got PR companies, sports people, TV presenters, breweries and pubs following me due to my posting promoting darts / beer / CAMRA.
I also have 19 years or so experience working in busy IT departments within the publishing industry – Jboss Seam/ Java / Hibernate / Spring, PHP, plus Oracle and MySQL skills.
Hopefully there’s a company out there who can see how useful it would be to have a WordPress (including eCommerce) expert who also knows how to market a brand with Facebook and Twitter, or maybe I’ll try and find a local brewery who can use those skills, PLUS the fact I’m a keen brewer who would love to start as a junior and work my way up 🙂
Maybe I’ll try and find more than one small/middle size company – exciting places to work for who can’t (yet) resource a role full time, but are happy to time-share me with one/two others.
UPDATE; Stand down, I’ve just gone through several interviews and had an job offer – so I resume my IT career as a senior analyst programmer – back in Frontline Ltd at the heart of a small but essential dev team. So back to my java / SEAM / JSF / Hibernate / Oracle development work after a 19 month or so break. I’ll continue dabbling in WordPress and PHP of course, as I still have my free time, more so now I’ll be working within walking distance of my home.