Home brew shop
I’ve created a small home brew shop (in association with Amazon) to help you find those essentials – especially useful if you’re new to brewing. Just click on the link in the menu above (or here to save you time) and you will see I’ve collected together as much useful equipment and ingredients (and starter kits) as I think you might need.
If you are brand new to brewing, and want to try your hand without spending much, I’d recommend getting the minimal equipment for now, and a ‘off the shelf’ extract kit. Some of the more modern kits give some surprisingly good results – and they are EASY to make. Before you know it you’ll have 40 pints of your very own beer to drink, often at about 50-60 pence a pint! (ignoring initial set-up costs obviously).
What you need at a minimum…
- Cleaner/steraliser! (you must steralise everything!)
- Fermenting bucket (start with one .. go to secondary once you’re used it it!)
- Kit (contains hopped malt extract, instructions and yeast)
- 1kg of brewing sugar (most kits need a top up, but is needed for when you barrel the beer to add fizz)
- Barrel (OR bottles – better for ‘fizzy’ beers)
- Syphon (to get the beer out of fermenter to the barrel)
Or if you want a starter kit of equipment – go for something like this, and add a beer kit.
Once you’ve tried your first kit with that sort of equipment, you can try some other kits, and add to your gear.. until you’re ready to try your own recipes (I use cans of high quality malt extract, with speciality grains, and hops, and boil the lot up.. look at my posts which shows you how).